Le Chocolat Chaud
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 3.5 ounces dark chocolate, grated. Use chocolate with at least 60% cacao for best results
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Additional sugar, for serving
1. Place a metal bowl and beaters in the freezer to chill.
2. Boil 2 cups of water and pour 1 cup into each of 2 mugs. Set mugs aside.
3. Heat 1 cup of the milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan, stirring constantly, until tiny bubbles appear at the side. Do not boil.
4. Remove from heat and add all but 1 tablespoon of grated chocolate to the milk. Whisk until chocolate has melted.
5. Return pan to heat, and add remaining 1 cup milk. Whisk until combined, and reduce heat to warm setting.
6. Remove the bowl and beaters from the freezer. Add the cream and sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
7. Empty the hot water from the mugs.
8. Pour the hot chocolate into the mugs, and top each with half of the whipped cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons of grated chocolate. Serve with additional sugar on the side, so the hot chocolate can be sweetened to taste.